Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Trouble With Coffee and The Internet

It's been an unusual day here on the Dental Floss Farm so far. I woke up at around 6 am yelling at my brother because I had a bad dream that he borrowed my laptop and returned it with a grotesque colony of black fungus covering the entire keyboard. I couldn't get back to sleep so I climbed down from the loft an hour later and intended to get my day started by making a big breakfast of eggs, home fries, and toast. For something different I decided to make coffee instead of tea this morning. It's funny how sometimes a simple decision like that can alter the next couple hours of your life.

Let me explain: when I went to pour the water in the coffee pot I noticed it looked rather gross. Brown spots, maybe fungus? I don't know. I didn't want to take any chances though, so I decided to look on the internet for directions about how to clean. Vinegar and water it said. So I followed the directs and ran the solution through and then ran a couple more of straight water. By this time the fact that I had only had 4 or 5 hours of sleep kicked in all at once so I decided to scrap breakfast for the moment and go back to bed. I didn't expect to sleep until 1pm.

So I climbed back down and began my second crack at breakfast, which now was brunch. It had been on my mind to look up where in Montana Ted Kaczynski, the unabomber, had lived. So while my home fries were cooking I jumped on Wikipedia and found out he was from Lincoln and then Google mapped that location from Basin and found it's an hour and a half's drive away. So of course I was intrigued and had to read the introduction of Industrial Society and It's Future, his manifesto, over breakfast. And then of course after breakfast I had to read the details surrounding his life, fascinating by the way, and began clicking on a number of the embedded links. The major divergence happened when I clicked from T.K. to Jacques Ellul, who T.K. had cited as being a major influence in his writing. Ellul was a French philosopher, sociologist, theologian, and Christian anarchist. He wrote over 40 books including The Technological Society which is his most important work.

Anyway, there I was with my laptop that I had just dreamt was overrun by black fungus, reading about the dangers of technology for hours while clicking through links like there's no tomorrow and bouncing from topic to topic in my browser tabs. How ironic. I'm going to go outside now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a very similar dream except that it was Greg's desktop keyboard in his room. And it wasn't a dream.

M. Scott said...

hahahaha!...It's funny because it's true.